What would you do if you suddenly came to know that something you are doing since a very long time was actually wrong?
Would you feel embarrassed about it because you never felt it being wrong in the first place?
Well you could say the same for pushing Mongo as most of the beginner skateboarders start pushing mongo without actually knowing that it is wrong, and the irony is that most of them do not feel wrong at all until someone points it out to them.
What is Pushing Mongo?
Pushing mongo or Mongo Pushing is considered as a wrong way of skateboarding, where you use your front foot instead of your back foot to push your way forward while riding the skateboard. And your back foot stays on somewhere in the middle of the board.
So obviously you might ask then “what is the correct way of pushing?”
The universally accepted way of pushing is with the back foot while the front foot rests near the front trucks. When you use your right foot as your front foot then it is called as a regular stance and when you use your left foot as the front foot then it is known as a goofy.
The word mongo has its roots in the slang of Spanish and Portuguese where mongo is used to describe a retarded person. Some say that it is derived from the Mongols as the pushing in mongo stance resembles a Mongolian riding a horse.
Although there is no written rule book about skateboarding, there are some things that are universally adhered to by the skateboarding community and Mongo pushing is one of those unwritten laws that are highly ridiculed upon.
Skateboarding is a creative sport, all about style and constant innovation with young skateboarders around the globe trying to achieve the next impossible. And pushing mongo definitely strips you of that style.
Why is Mongo Pushing not good?
Many people start pushing mongo when they begin skateboarding without knowing about it as it comes naturally to them. Even some of the famous pro-skateboarders started out pushing mongo and later changed their stance into a normal one, because it is difficult to become a pro-skateboarder by mongo pushing.
Mongo pushing can be bad for many reasons.
- First of all it looks weird when someone pushes mongo.
- In a pushing mongo it takes longer to position your-self properly, compared to a proper stance because the feet movement increases. Your back foot is on the on the centre of the deck and then use your front foot to push and then to position yourself on the board you have to place your front foot in the middle and move your back foot near the tail of the board. This results in increased foot movements as well as instability.
- You will constantly be in need of your back foot being on the tail for performing tricks like Ollie and kick-turn but while pushing mongo your back foot will be positioned somewhere in between the middle and the tail of the skateboard. This makes it more unstable for you to maneuver the board as the back foot is stationary in this position while in a normal stance your front foot would be near the bolts of the front trucks making it easier to maneuver.
- Cruising over cracks becomes a little awkward as you need your foot on the middle of the board to be able to lift your nose slightly up to go over the crack; this becomes difficult while pushing mongo as your foot is back.
- Pushing mongo also doesn’t generate much speed
- Pushing mongo is bad for technical flip-tricks.
When is Pushing Mongo okay?
For something being deemed so incorrect it surely has quite a bit of importance in skateboarding. The stance of mongo if not bad is definitely used in certain tricks.
- It is used in dropping in and is not considered incorrect at that time.
- Madonna air is basically a mongo push- grab in the air.
- Mongo push can be converted into a good Boneless One by adding a pre grab.
- One of the hardest tricks, the No-Comply is also probably nothing but a mongo push. But it is also one of the highly applauded tricks.
- Riding fakie also becomes a lot easier when you are pushing mongo. After you have enough speed you just have to place your front foot near the front trucks and your back foot on the tail.
- Riding switch also becomes easy to perform as you just have to place your back foot more towards the front of the board. And then slowly you have to place your front foot on your tail.
- Some say that pushing mongo makes it easy to turn
What to do if you are Pushing Mongo?
There is no need to worry as it is never late to learn the widely accepted way of pushing.
All you need is practicing the normal stance on a smooth surface until your body gets comfortable with it.
It is really up to you in the end, if you feel really comfortable riding mongo and don’t care about what anyone says, there is no need to change unless you are really into the sport for making a name for yourself. Then you might have to think about what will get you there. And Mongo Pushing surely isn’t going to do that.